Saturday, September 15, 2007

Childhood memories

The other day I was telling HSSH about some childhood memories I had. As I kid I have a vivid memory of all my siblings along with 4 or 5 maybe 8 neighbors would head off on the 5 mile trip to town. Some on bikes, some on motor bikes, horses, a wagon behind a bike, some just walking (really fast), there was even a goat. The goat only went once I don't think the goat made it to town we tied it up by some blackberries and picked it up on the way home.

As I remember my childhood I keep thinking Man did I live. Cray fishing in a creek. swimming in a river, or cow pond. Playing baseball in the pasture using cow patties for bases, Never slide into a wet cow pie base, unless you are close to the creek. the only thing we worried about was the black bear in the pasture.

My youngest sister is 6 years younger then me, I would stay with a neighbor and catch the bus with her to school. The day Mom and sister came home I was picked up by my parents and I didn't have to go to school. Sister had on a pretty pink dress. I was the first of the siblings to see her.

We would "live off the land" my grand parents would raise cows for beef they had acres of corn and a very big garden that every one would work in. We raised chickens for meat and eggs, goats for milk traded goats milk for cows milk, in the fall we harvested gardens, froze and canned the vegetables, butchered the chickens. Then it was hunting season when you hit 12 you got your hunting permit whether you shot a deer or not so we could have enough meat to feed all the relatives. In the summer there were wild strawberries and huckleberries, raspberries, blackberries, and tons of fruit.

Wow what a fun childhood I had.

No comments: